Electrical Regulations

Building Regulation in the UK for Electrical Work.

All electrical work in England Wales (as of 2005), whether performed by an electrician/contractor or done on a DIY bases must coincide with Part P of the building regulations. This also includes any electrical work (indifferent to whether the job is denoting to a BCB (building control body).

The whole point of this regulations is to protect you, your employee’s/family member from any potential hazards than can occur as a result of unfortunate electrical circumstances.

All regulatory points of Part P is applicable to all new builds and also as part of any altercations to old/existing wiring to properties throughout England and Wales.

According to Part P, any individual/individuals looking to carry our electrical work on a property must ensure that all consideration in regards to design must include a comprehensive electrical wiring plan, that will help protect the property and individuals wishing to use/dwell within the property against electrical fires and being electrocuted.

cirtifications-for-electricians plug-installations-in-home

Medway Kent Electricians

Who Holds this responsibility?

In this case, according the Part P, the property owner holds sole responsibility in ensuring these guidelines are met throughout the property. The consequence of failing to adhere to Part P can include, forceful removal or altercations or electrical work throughout the house, to include re-wiring.

Notifiable Work

As part of an initiative to further cement Part P’s values, it is now (since April 2013) mandatory to undertake action to notify a local building control body when one of the following criteria’s are met.

  • A fuse box has been installed or replaced
  • A Circuit is installed, generally around 230 volts.
  • Modifications made to an existing circuit within a room housing a shower/bath, sauna or swimming pool. Basically anywhere where water is needed to fulfil a purpose.

Before electrical installation is carried out

Checking whether works is notifiable is the first step before any work must commence. In order to do this there are mainly two routes that you can take:

Use a professional (highly advisable). By using a professional electrician or a registered electrician you can expect that any advice given will be held accountable for. Your main priority here would be to have safe electrical installation carried out by someone competent. In Addition this would also save you the hassle of having to directly deal with building control. Also as proof that work has been carried out to the acceptable standards of part P any professional electrician should provide you with an electrical installation certificate and a building regulations compliance certificate.

In the case that something goes wron, by using a professional you also have access to an official complaints procedure. In some cases insurance will also be offered which will allow you to make a claim if you later find that the electrical work has not met the building regulations of Part P.

Using a non-registered electrician

In the case that you use a nonregistered electrician a third party must be called in, within at least five days of electrical work completion. The main purpose of this third-party would be to ensure that all work has been completed to a satisfactory standard. In the result that this is the case the third party would provide an electrical installation condition report to the person that has ordered the works to be done. In this case it would be you the property owner.


For More information or if you’d like a professional Electrical service in and around Manchester to be carried out in your property, contact us Grindley Electricals on 0161 345 9452.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BizStudio-lite Theme by SketchThemes